On episode #99 of the Speak Up Storytelling podcast, Matthew and Elysha Dicks talk storytelling!
In our follow up segment, we discuss firehouse and stripper poles as well as upcoming shows and workshops, all online!
STORYTELLING SHOWS 2020
- July 11: Solo show at MOPCO Improv Theater (7:30 PM) (virtual)
STORYTELLING WORKSHOPS 2020
- July 11: Advanced storytelling workshop in partnership with MOPCO Improv Theater (11:00-6:00 PM) (virtual)
In our Homework for Life segment, Matt talks about moments that have more than one beat, and how the smaller side of a large moment often makes for the best story.
Next we listen to a story by Katie Field.
Amongst the many things we discuss include:
- Subtly in storytelling
- Living your story as you tell it
- Breaking the rules
- Define characters throughout a story
- Centering thoughts in scenes
Next we answer a questions about The Moth StorySLAM community and Elysha’s view on Matt’s storytelling.
Lastly, we each offer a recommendation.
- Strawberry rhubarb crumble: https://bit.ly/2Zzu22s
- Art as a gift
Moth GrandSLAM story: “Genetic Flaws” – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajU08oQxbDo
“We adopted two cats. Our kids’ reaction was… unexpected” –
Support Speak Up Storytelling through our Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/speakupstorytelling
Purchase Storyworthy: Engage, Teach, Persuade, and Change Your Life Through the Power of Storytelling:
Purchase Twenty-one Truths About Love:
Homework for Life: https://bit.ly/2f9ZPne
Matthew Dicks’s website: http://www.matthewdicks.com
Matthew Dicks’s YouTube channel:
Matthew Dicks’s blog: