Here’s a stupid and ridiculous thought:
Last night’s Oscar winners featured a large number of Asian actors and actresses, including:
- Actor in a Supporting Role Ke Huy Quan
- Actress in a Leading Role Michelle Yeoh
- Best Director Daniel Kwan (alongside Daniel Scheinert)
- Best Picture (producers Daniel Kwan and Jonathan Wang alongside Daniel Scheinert)
- Best Original Screenplay Daniel Kwan (alongside Daniel Scheinert)
In addition, the Oscar for Best Song went to “Naatu Naatu” from the Indian film RRR.
Here’s my stupid and ridiculous thought:
Do you think the collective cesspool of white supremacists was angry that so many non-white actors and actresses were winners?
I really hope so.
I hope they were angry in the same way they were angry about the election of a black President and a multiracial Vice President. I hope they were angry in the same way they turn on the television and watch the world becoming less white and more diverse by the day.
A symbol of their inevitable, inexorable decline.
The German word for this is schadenfreude:
Pleasure in the misfortune of others
It’s not always the best or kindest way of thinking or feeling, but in this particular situation, I think it’s more than fine.