On episode #75 of the Speak Up Storytelling podcast, Matthew and Elysha Dicks talk storytelling!
In our follow up segment, we discuss last week’s book launch event. We also direct listeners to our new Soundcloud account and Matt’s updated YouTube channel. We also ask listeners to help solve a problem.
STORYTELLING SHOWS 2019-2020
- December 14: “Crafty” at CT Historical Society, Hartford, CT
- January 11: “Still Life: Stories of Stopping and Slowing Down” at the Wadsworth Atheneum
- February 8: “Storytelling for Students at Henry A. Wolcott School, West Hartford, CT
- March 21: Great Hartford StorySlam, Hartford Flavor Company
STORYTELLING WORKSHOPS 2019-2020
- February 1: Storytelling workshop (Beginner), CT Historical Society
- February 22: Storytelling workshop (Advanced), CT Historical Society
In our Homework for Life segment, we talk about an unexpected reaction to jury duty and how that might become a story. We also talk about ways to avoid overcomplicating a story.
Next we listen to a story by Joey Meyer.
Amongst the many things we discuss include:
Saying big, important things by telling the story of a small, brief, encounter
Outstanding openings and the power of perpetuating a mystery throughout the story
Sliding details about location seamlessly into the narrative
Effective sentence structure
- The hazards of harming animals in a story
Next we answer questions from listeners about storytelling for job interviews and how writers can transfer what they do from the page to the stage.
Lastly, we each offer a recommendation.
- Mike Birbiglia’s “The New One”
Cardboard Knight: http://bit.ly/2YdewZ9
The Robbery: http://bit.ly/2P6339z
Purchase Twenty-one Truths About Love
Homework for Life: https://bit.ly/2f9ZPne
Matthew Dicks’s website: https://matthewdicks.com
Matthew Dicks’s YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/matthewjohndicks
Matthew Dicks’s blog: https://matthewdicks.com/matthewdicksblog
Subscribe to Matthew Dicks’s weekly newsletter: https://matthewdicks.com/matthewdicks-subscribe
Subscribe to the Speak Up newsletter: https://matthewdicks.com/subscribe-speak-up
Subscribe to Matthew Dicks’s blog: https://matthewdicks.com/subscribe-grin-and-bare-it