On episode #96 of the Speak Up Storytelling podcast, Matthew and Elysha Dicks talk storytelling!
In our follow up segment, we discuss our absence for the last couple weeks, share emails from listeners around the world, and describe upcoming events.
In our Homework for Life segment, I talk about identifying and crafting seemingly tiny moments into stories.
Next we listen to a story by Kathy Wass Binder.
Amongst the many things we discuss include:
- Scenes and backstory
- Telling stories that take place over a long period of time chronologically
- Humor and vulnerability
- Losing the thread of your story
- Topic sentences and thesis statements
Next we answer a question about hero stories
Lastly, we each offer a recommendation.
- 13 Ways to Look at a Blackbird: https://bit.ly/2AyZW6e
- Birdhouse: https://amzn.to/2ZewDjE
- Journals by Kurt Cobain: https://amzn.to/2LBo8XY
- Support Speak Up Storytelling through our Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/speakupstorytelling
- Purchase Storyworthy: Engage, Teach, Persuade, and Change Your Life Through the Power of Storytelling: https://amzn.to/2H3YNn3
- Purchase Twenty-one Truths About Love: https://amzn.to/35Mz1xS
- Homework for Life: https://bit.ly/2f9ZPne
- Matthew Dicks’s website: http://www.matthewdicks.com
- Matthew Dicks’s YouTube channel:https://www.youtube.com/matthewjohndicks
- Matthew Dicks’s blog: https://matthewdicks.com/blog