On sale now!
Mailing List Sign Up
- This won’t be cute forever
- My first library book: Desperately seeking the title
- Put yourself out there
- Pole vaulting, mailbox baseball and going to the prom are just a few of my ideas.
- 5 amazing fantastic things that I stupidly misjudged or prejudged initially
- Where do you get your ideas?
- How I found my literary agent
- A visit from Mom (4)
- matthew: “Unaware of that was to come.” Words that ring in my mind whenever I look at an old photograph,...
- Declare your parental pride. Make the world better for the parent of a newborn. (4)
- The epilogue (36)
- matthew: No, thank YOU! That means so much! SO happy you liked it!
- It’s just a table with some crayons and paints and paper, but in a surprising way, it’s changed the course of my children’s lives. (2)
- matthew: Yes, keeping the area neat is a pain in the ass but worth it.
- A visit from Mom (4)
- Author Out Loud
- Caught in the Middle
- CHICKEN SHACK
- Current Affairs
- Food and Drink
- Gratitude Journal
- Guest post
- Marketing and Publlicity
- MEMOIRS OF AN IMAGINARY FRIEND
- New Year's Resolutions
- Productivity Tip
- Reader Question
- Recommended Reading/Viewing
- Rock Opera
- SOMETHING MISSING
- Spamming Scumbag
- Speak Up
- The Perfect Comeback of Caroline Jacobs
- The Writing Process
- To-do lists
- Unacceptable platitudes
- UNEXPECTEDLY, MILO
- Unfair assumptions
- Verbal Sparring
- Writers Abroad
- Own your crazy
- I live in a country where Janet Jackson’s boob receives more attention than net neutrality.
- It’s just a table with some crayons and paints and paper, but in a surprising way, it’s changed the course of my children’s lives.
- Declare your parental pride. Make the world better for the parent of a newborn.
- Contrary to popular belief, parents and teachers are well aware of the existence of Sparknotes.
Category Archives: Current Affairs
When an arena of Missouri sports fans gives an openly gay football player a standing ovation, the world is getting decidedly smaller for the bigots of the world.
I feel so lucky that my wife and I were teachers for so many years before becoming parents. As a teacher, I have come to understand the value of allowing a child to struggle. I’ve learned the value of clear … Continue reading
How could someone not be fired for this decision?
I am opposed to the death penalty for many reasons, but chief among them is the possibility that innocent people are mistakenly put to death. As a person who was arrested and tried for a crime he did not commit, … Continue reading
From a piece in TIME entitled It’s a Man’s World, and It Always Will Be by Camille Paglia (author and professor at the University of the Arts in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) comes these two paragraphs which I found incredibly intriguing and … Continue reading
A new study entitled “The Cheater’s High: The Unexpected Affective Benefits of Unethical Behavior” has shown that as long as you didn’t think your cheating hurt anyone, cheating often makes people feel great. Researchers attribute the exhilaration that people feel … Continue reading
Escaping poverty, homelessness and hopelessness was incredibly hard for me. Now 80% of Americans must do the same.
There was a time in my life when I was homeless. I lived in my car and was unemployed. While this was primarily the result of being arrested and tired for a crime I did not commit, I was also … Continue reading
Late last summer, a judge in the town of Newport, Tennessee ordered that a 7-month old boy’s name be changed from Messiah to Martin, saying that “it’s a title that has only been earned by one person … Jesus Christ.” … Continue reading
The Today Show has cornered the market on young, white, blond, female kidnapping victims. You should stop watching.
The Today Show did a segment yesterday entitled Hannah’s Story. As soon as I heard the promo for the segment at the opening of the show, I knew that the kidnapping victim would be young, white and probably blond. Not … Continue reading
…and into bigoted stupidity. The smirk on the guy’s face after suggesting that homosexuality is akin to incest is just appalling.